Pages

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Settling In

So as Topper is settling in to his new home, I plan on getting to know my new horse with spending some bonding time with him along with doing just a little bit of work with him. Can't let that jumping bean between his ears stop! It has to continue to think and process.

This morning was The Ride for a Cure. I really wanted to go but sadly wasn't able to due to Topper being in quarantine. I was happy though, I had a nice hour and a half with him while most of the barn was out enjoying the beautiful weather! They really lucked out, could have not asked for better weather for a trail ride. I groomed him off really well and just led him around his little paddock getting to know him over all along with letting him think and process our work. Main goal right now is SPACE! Oh man, he doesn't know what personal space is and was all up in my face and space. Not mean or anything about it, just super nosy and wanting attention. There is a time for attention and head scratches and all but there is also a time that he will just have to stand there, still with out me touching him or him begging for it. A horse who doesn't know him space and where my space meet, needs to learn it! I'm not going to let that fly!

Over all he did VERY well today. Calm, curious, and happy... minus the flies driving him nuts. That is another thing he is going to have to learn to deal with, the flies. Glad it is fall time and they soon will be hitting the ground dead due to the cold.

The barn riders came back and while they were unloading their horses, Topper got excited and tried to show off. Dingus just got himself all sweaty and became a fly magnet. *shakes head*



And a few pictures, enjoy!





Gave him an apple for his good work and attitude. This is saying something because I don't give treats.




No comments:

Post a Comment