Pages

Saturday, April 1, 2017

Last Saturday (3-25) was the spring vaccine clinic at the barn. I've never had a horse have a reaction before to any vaccine until now.  Shots were given at 9am and he received Vetera Gold. It is a 6-way vaccine that includes: 
  • Eastern/Western Equine Encephalomyelitis
  • Tetanus
  • West Nile
  • Influenza
  • Herpesvirus, types 1 and 4 (Rhino)
I stuck around until about noon, and he seemed just fine. I went home and took a nap. Dummy me left my phone in the car and when I went out to find it at about 7pm, I had facebook msg's, voicemails, and text from people at my barn and the vet who administrated the vaccine. Most said "Ali, Cobre is shivering really bad; Faith and Connie are with him and have taken his temperature. I'll get back to you with Connie's number." I freaked out! A few phone calls and a plan to meet Faith back at the barn. He had a 103.9 fever. Vet was called and Banamine injection was given, along with a double dose of Fastrack gel for his guy, as he hadn't eaten any of his dinner. So hosed off his legs in hopes of cooling him down, lots of walking, and trying to get him to eat anything that he wanted. Thankfully about 10pm, he was feeling a tad bit better and his temp was back down to 101.3. By 10:30 he was wanting to graze on grass. By 11pm. he wanted his hay. I stuck around a bit longer and went home about midnight. Thank God for awesome barn cats! They sure know how you keep you company.



Sunday morning he seemed much more like himself and his temp was back to normal. I was happy to see a stall full of poop. I took him for a walk down to the river and came back. I biffed it in the mud really good and felt it all day Monday.





Tuesday I rode him for about 10 minutes. He was perfect.

Wednesday he got bit in the neck by his run mate, so he was very touchy and didn't want to be messed with.

Thursday... Same as above, but the farrier came out to do a bunch of horses. I wasn't sure how he would be but he stood tied for over an hour and didn't move. The farrier got to Cobre' and Cobre' couldn't have cared less that there was a man trimming his hooves. I was very proud of him!
Donnie, Puffy, Hal


Cobre', Magnum and Redwood

Friday, I didn't ride. His neck was still a bit ouchie but the bite was almost gone. :)
  

No comments:

Post a Comment