Pages

Friday, March 24, 2017

One Month

Tomorrow marks one month of having Cobre'. He is such a fun horse to have and I can't believe how far he has come in this short of time.



I try to go to the barn every day to work with him, but some times the weather just has other plans, like the past two days. Last weekend up until late Tuesday it was simply gorgeous out and felt like spring. Come Wednesday, it was raining like we might have to build an Ark, I'm not even kidding. Thursday, it was warm and pouring and driving into work was fun because a lot of the roads were a bit flooded. By noon, it was in the low 30's and snowing huge flakes which lasted until last night. So I didn't go to the barn either day. Thankfully the barn manager is amazing and I know my horse is going to be cared for no matter what type of weather it is outside. Also having full care is nice too. I love this barn, I truly do! :)

Today when I did get to the barn, he seemed so happy to see me. I cleaned his run and while I did that, he was pushing on his gate trying to get it unlocked. When I finally got his halter out, he spun around and came up to me and pretty much put it on himself. He wanted out so bad.

Bridling him has been a chore, he doesn't like taking a bit. Usually it's the first thing I do is put the bridle on him as soon as we get into the arena. Usually it takes about 5 minutes for him to take it and it's usually after my arm is about half dead. Today he took the bit the first time without even a struggle. Nothing, he just grabbed it and was happy. I was amazed! Brushed him off and tacked him up and took for him a short walk on foot down the road.

We came back and I hopped on. He was great and we went all over the property without any issues. I guess the back 40 really flooded so the barn manager was out there with a tractor, a generator, and was sucking water up and moving it... or so it looked like. Cobre' didn't care one bit and we rode by it a few times. We also got to play in A LOT of puddles. I must have a horse that is well okay with water, and puddles. He didn't care one bit and we walked and largoed through them. He seemed to love the water and mud splashing all over the both of us. Fine by me!


 

We called it break time and back to the arena we went to just hang out. Unbridled him and sat there and ate my lunch. He didn't even care that I plucked his mane either for his DNA test that I have to send out tomorrow. I wasn't sure how he would do if I bridled him again but he did it again without any issues on the first time. YAHOOOOO! So we did that a bunch more and then we went back out on the property and rode around some more. He was doing so wonderful I felt safe and confident in both of us, that I asked him to walk out on the road down to the next barn over from ours. He was a bit hesitant at first but he trusted me enough to calmly walk on and walk back without any issue. I felt like we mad so much progress today. Maybe he just needed to have two days off to get bored enough to do fun things. Either way I am very very proud of him.




No longer scared of the horse eating rabbit

Puddles!
The river is very high.



No comments:

Post a Comment