Pages

Friday, March 10, 2017

Two Week Mark

Tomorrow will be the two week mark that I have had Cobre'.
First Day


Yesterday
If you would have told me that I would be riding him by himself, I would have laughed at you. In fact the second day I was at the new barn with him, L gave me a paper with all the ride dates on it. I crumpled it up and thought "Not this year! Not with how messed up this guy's head is... maybe next year, yeah next year." That night I grabbed it from my purse, uncumpled it and stuck it to my refrigerator and said "Maybe we'll get one in this year". I'm sticking to that plan. It doesn't have to happen now, or next month, or even until next October but that is my plan.

In the last two weeks he has come SO FAR with himself! I can't even tell you how proud I am of him. This week we've done a good amount of arena riding. Yesterday we started out by our selves but that didn't last long. He went into a spinning, backing panic, and popped up a few times. I laughed and said he was going to put a reining horse to shame with his antics. L yelled to me if I wanted her to come help me get off. I yelled back "NOPE! I'm not getting off! If you grab the lead rope that would be perfect! I'll be fine with whatever he does". So she grabbed the lead rope and we ponied him all over the place again at different speeds. After a while, we were off on our own with L and other horses near by in the arena. By the end of our hour ride by ourselves, he was doing everything I asked him today without any fear or confusion with his insecurities.



Today there was no ponying him, no lead rope, nothing. He did challenge me for about two minutes but after he threw his little spinning, backing, "scare tactic" to get a rider to get off, he gave up. I did have to tell him to GET UP! and WALK! We did everything again at all speeds in all directions the arena with him and his walk, corto, and largo. After an hour of riding him, we called it quits on a good note again. Always end on a good note. :)

I sure do love this little guy! I know he's going to be amazing with trail riding. In the last two weeks he is completely a different horse. I hope to one day do endurance rides with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment