Pages

Saturday, March 18, 2017

A horse with PTSD

Cobre' definitely has PTSD when it comes to certain things. The round pen is #1, #2 is the arena (indoor and outdoor). So I've stepped back again and cut those two things out completely. Thankfully it's nice weather now and spring is just around the corner and riding around the property has been a blast for both of us. All last week I worked with him under saddle for about 15-20 minutes tops. I'd tack up and hop on and we would walk just outside in front of the arena, or walk down the drive way and come back. Every day I tried a little something new with him, from going in between the silos, to around the horse runs and pens, and along the out door arena. Just little things, just a calm and relaxed walk on his back. We'd call it a night and like always, end on a good note.

He has gained a lot more confidence in himself and hasn't had a freak out or melt down since taking arena work out. It is nice to see how he is improving and how other people at the barn are seeing his results as well. Just when I can't think I can be anymore proud of him, he does something even more outstanding and I'm just struck with awe and amazement.


Today I tacked up and hopped on and off we went around the property. We even took a walk down the road and back.

 He even calmly walked behind the house where it backs up to the interstate with vehicles zooming by at crazy speeds. At first he wasn't sure that was the best idea, but after a moment of rubbing his neck and tapping him and telling him to walk on, we did it. The highway didn't consume him or I. Thankfully there is a mote and area coverage from where the highway is and the barn grounds, so it's not like we're actually right on it. If that were the case, that would be a huge nope! I got him to largo a bit and man is that fun with him. We called it a day soon afterwards.



After out ride, I decided to give him a bath. I was expecting him not to be okay with it, but he acted like he couldn't have cared less.
His post picture bath face I call "I didn't sign up for THIS!"


He looks a lot less like a Yak now. 


I totally adore this boy!


No comments:

Post a Comment