Pages

Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Moab Trip: Part One

Thursday, May 4th:

I got through my day at work and I hurried off to the barn to meet Linda with her trailer. She needed to pick Hal and Cobre' up for their overnight stay at her place so she could hit the road early on Friday.  I was a bit worried (okay I was A LOT worried) with how Cobre' would do in the trailer, and being somewhere new without me there. He knows Linda well but he has some issues due to his past that we're working on. Linda showed up with trailer in tow, Connie loaded Hal up and I loaded Cobre' up and off they went. I really tried not to be "that worried parent" but I was. I don't have any kids of my own but I can only guess how I felt would be the same as sending your child off to his/her first sleepover at a friend's. I texted Linda and asked how he did trailering over.
She sent this back, I about cried happy tears.





Friday, May 5th:

I woke up early at was on the road by 8 am, I didn't sleep much out of nerves and excitement. 
The drive to Moab was pretty uneventful. It's a beautiful drive and I rocked out to some tunes and kept myself company. I stopped for lunch and feared that I would be the last one to camp. I turned onto Hwy 128 at about 12:30, I still had to drive to mile marker 20 before turning onto Onion Creek road. It was a gorgeous drive up, but I get car sick easy and the ginormous wall sides, cliffs, and windy road were doing a number on my head and stomach. I stopped a few times to get myself together. I'm not sure if it's vertigo or what, but I found out that I have the same problems going through the Canyon pass in Saint George, Utah going and coming from Arizona/Nevada.



Anyway, I made it to camp and was so surprised that I wasn't the last person there. In fact, no one I knew was there but I had the pleasure of meeting Shannon and her husband and hung out with them and their little old dog Jack for about an hour. I ventured off for a bit to take some photos around the camp before everyone showed up and we got to setting up.




It was HOT! I mean like 100+ out and the sun was blasting. I wasn't too happy about how hot it was due to the fact that it snowed in Salt Lake City a week prior. So going from one extreme to the next, wasn't too fun but I lived.

Judi came pulling into camp with her rig and two horses and dog. Not too long after Linda pulled into camp with her hubby, rig, horses, and dogs. We unloaded the horses and put them into the corrals that the campsite provides (which I just LOVED!) Cobre' was soaked again due to worry because of his past trailering rides, but when I went into getting him, his expression changed from a very worried look to an "OMG! MOM! You're here!!!!" look. He took a couple sighs and settled right in and dried off. If I hadn't had known, I would have thought he had done this 100 times before. No complaints or worry from him. He and Hal were stalled next to each other at camp too, just like at our barn. I hope that helped him out a bit.

By that time, Judi's hubby was rolling in with their RV and jeep in tow. They have the coolest Jeep that has been in their family from when it was first bought back in 1946. I believe that is what I was told.

Everyone got settled in and Judi made dinner. It was delicious! She made chicken with wild rice, a salad, and french bread. After a while, we were wondering when John and Sena would be over as they live out there and run Moab Horses


We sat around talking and finally Judi, Shannon, Linda, and I said "we'll go over there and find them" and we all jumped into the jeep and off we went. 


It was a fun drive over there but sadly they were not home. Bummer.  While headed over there the sun was hitting a telephone pole just perfect that the bottom was a bit shaded, but the top was in bright light. Linda yelled "Look at THAT cross floating over there!!! oh wait, it's a pole". Needless to say, it was hilarious! It did look like a huge cross just floating in the air.


Little did we know that John and Sena headed over to our camp!


We got back to camp and they were headed for the hills. They had their dogs with them, so our camp became the animal camp as I called it. We had 8 dogs, 6 horses, and 2 mules. The conversations were great and I learned that John, Sena, and James were amazing people! It started to get dark out and we all called it a night.



No comments:

Post a Comment