Pages

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Horse stuff

Legacy is settling in nicely I suppose. I brought her out yesterday and she was hot hot hot! So I made her work and move her feet. I ended up lunging her both ways for about 10 minutes each way. I am not sure if she has ever done that before but after a few halts and corrections she seemed to figure what I wanted her to do. Not shabby but it's something I'll work on with her now to keep her brain thinking.




Today I brought her back out and took her for a walk around the yard. She munched on a little bit of everything. She was fine till we got over to the gate next to the road then the llamas, horses, donkeys all came flying up to their property line. She stood dead still and just watched them. She was fine up till the two miniature ponies ran up to the fence and joined the rest of the crowd and she tried to high tail it back to her corral. A quick WHOA and a correction tug on her lead and she halted and tried to hide behind me! LMAO





She wasn't to good after that so I took her over a few feet to let her munch on some grass, she settled down but was still on guard in case one of those midget horses was coming to get her. *shakes head, silly horse*




I figured I would work her a bit more again and lunged her. She does great going one way, the other way (going clockwise) she acts like she can't even get the gist of how her legs and feet are supposed to move. Going to work on that way more with her.




My new saddle is supposed to arrive tomorrow, so maybe if it gets here early enough I'll be able to see how it fits her and work her a bit. I sure do hope it fits!

5 comments:

  1. You need to get a better fitting halter on that chestnut. It's far too low on her nose, and putting pressure on a delicate area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've since put more holes on it, her head is an odd size, pony is to small, cob doesn't always fit, and horse is to big. Also her coat color is bay dun, not chestnut.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So what does any of that have to do with the halter not fitting correctly? If it doesn't fit, either buy one that does or put enough holes in it until it fits. But as it stands now, the noseband is putting too much pressure in the wrong place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neither halter fits right.

    That rope one is right up on her eye (think that might be one of the reasons she has trouble lunging?) and the other is SO low it's fixing to slip off the end of her nose.

    And from trying to fit at Paso Fino's small and delicate head and an Arabian's head, BOTH of mine have halters (both nylon AND rope) that fit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-gkAThpVMYR4/Tw026xBGA-I/AAAAAAAAAg0/ZpqH5TIliCI/s400/IMAG0162.jpg

    I punched more holes into the leather halter, it fits better now. As for the rope halter, it does fit her, but it was turning sideways while lunging her.

    ReplyDelete