Pages

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

I'm tired of winter!

Today's weather was the high of 30, windy, and snow. I'm so over it!

I got off of work and headed to the barn. Cleaned his stall, haltered him, took him out, groomed him. messed with all four of his feet and off to go explore we went. We only walked across the road, which is a huge field. While walking down the road for get to a crossing (wooden fence lines the field) a Comcast truck drove by. I wasn't sure how Cobre' would react but told him to stop, watch it as it passed (he startled in place) and I told him to "get it!", meaning... "make it go away". Not really chase it, but we followed it while I praised him of being a good and brave boy. He snorted as it drove on and we continued out into the field. A short walk out and I was sinking in mud again, so we turned around and headed back to the barn.


I was half frozen so into the indoor arena we went. A group lesson was underway and I thought "Hey, let's stand around, hang out, and watch it together". Cobre' was abused by a trainer, he doesn't like loud noises and doesn't like people yelling. A controlled group lesson with one loud lady on the ground giving tips, and directions... he was curious about. After a few minutes he didn't care that she was yelling across a big arena, so we practiced how he ties. No real issue with that while I was standing there with him... but I do worry due to how he was trained that he has pull back issues.
(I might touch on that at some point, sadly the trainer is well loved in the horse world and any negative stuff that comes up on him, he threatens people and goes after them~What a winner he is! *GAG*)




Cobre' seemed to be getting bored, so I figured I'd see how he would take a bit/bridal. No issue and it gave him something to play with while we just hung out. I took it off after a few minutes and he just stood there and nuzzled me and licked my jacket. He's so sweet!




By that time, the barn manager was feeding so I wanted to take him back to see if he would eat his grass hay. I put him back in his run, and into his stall he went and started eating. I was so happy! At that moment I thought of a good idea and used the weather to my advantage. Cobre' doesn't like people around him when he eats, he gets kind of food aggressive. We suspect that the trainer would either take his food away from him if he was "bad" or "not perfect", or hit him while he ate or tried to eat. So off into the barn I went and hung out at his stall.



At first he wasn't sure and walked back outside... into the wind and snow.

He didn't seemed to thrilled and he must have been hungry because after a few he came back inside and started to eat while I was standing right next to him. No aggression or ears back or anything. He munched and I grabbed a handful of the alfalfa that I have for him and handed it to him. He happily took it from me without thinking he was going to get hit or punished.
I was frozen again and decided to call it a night and head home. I can't wait until spring!


No comments:

Post a Comment